The Glass House in New Canaan features its own architect Philip Johnson


“Glass House Presents at New Canaan Library” offers an overview of the architecture and writings of architect Philip Johnson with a talk by Professor Jeffrey Lieber, associate professor of art history at Texas State University and author of ‘a book titled: “Flintstone Modernism or the Crisis in Postwar American Culture.” His work was published in 2018 in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press.

The live webinar is Monday, November 8 at 6 p.m.

Zoom login information will be provided when registering at newcanaanlibrary.org.


Professor Lieber will explore Johnson’s writings of the 1950s and 1960s, asking whether Johnson’s approaches were expressions of camp sensibility.

Were her statements about beauty and history an expression of queer desire?

Approaching the issues while taking into account his involvement in politics in the 1930s, Lieber highlights Johnson’s attitude towards the dominant cultural and ideological imperatives of the postwar era.

Lieber’s essays and reviews have appeared in the publications of Architectural Histories, Texas Architect, and Harvard Design Magazine.

His broad interests in the field were sponsored by the Delmas Foundation Grant for Independent Research in Venice, Italy, and are reflected in his curation of film series, at the Harvard Film Archive and at the New School in New York. .

He received his undergraduate degree from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, NY and his doctorate in art history from the University of Michigan.

He teaches at Texas State University, located in San Marcos, Texas.

‘Glass House Presents’ is an ongoing series of lectures, performances and other live events that extend the site’s historic role as a gathering place for artists, architects and other creative minds in the spirit of the Johnson’s creative mind.

The event is co-hosted by the New Canaan Library and supported in part by Connecticut Humanities and the New Canaan Community Foundation, NCCF.

The Glass House was built and maintained between 1949 and 1995 by architect Philip Johnson, and is a National Trust Historic Site located in town.

The 49-acre pastoral landscape includes 14 structures, including the Glass House (1949), and features a permanent collection of 20th-century paintings and sculptures, as well as public programs and temporary exhibitions.

For more information on the event and how to register, visit the Glass House website at theglasshouse.org.


Source link

Previous Former U.S. postal worker at CT admits stealing cash and gift cards from letters
Next Atlanta United and New York Red Bulls play in a scoreless tie